Lifestyle Station

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Cotton Field In My Village

This is a typical cotton field in the fall. In the harvest season, Sept. and Oct. it is common that farmers work from 8 AM to 8 PM in these cotton fields. All the work needs to be done by hands. Picking cotton is not like picking apples. Farmers have to bend their waists.

All cotton bolls don't open at a time. When you finish picking at one end of the field, cotton bolls at the other end open again. That's why you see white cotton in one area but empty bolls in another area.

5 Comments:

  • Hi , I saw you blogname on abraham's blog,

    This is so interesting I never saw a cottonfield like this, that looks like the grape-fields we saw in France!

    Where is your village?

    I am from Holland and I show also a lot of my country and the countries I visit in Europe, Your welcome to visit my blog!

    JOANN:) form Holland

    By Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes, At Saturday, September 08, 2007 1:25:00 PM  

  • Neat photo, but I bet that is very hard on the back.

    By Blogger lv2scpbk, At Sunday, September 09, 2007 5:19:00 AM  

  • Hi Joann,

    It is nice to read your blog. I would like to go there often to know Holland culutre.

    My village, where I was born, is located in Manas County(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manas_County), northern part of Xinjiang.

    By Blogger Viola, At Monday, September 10, 2007 7:35:00 AM  

  • Hi lv2scpbk,
    You are right. It is a hard work to pick up cotton, with back bent more than 10 hours a day. I hope someday machines can do all that work.

    By Blogger Viola, At Monday, September 10, 2007 7:42:00 AM  

  • This is really a very well captured shot. Here in India the cotton fields look white in full bloom and its such a lovely sight and the labour work is just same as you have mentioned.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home