Lifestyle Station

Monday, July 16, 2007

Amish people in Milroy

My friend and I drove to Milroy, about 20 minutes away from State College. Amish people live there. We are curious about how they lead lives without using modern civilization, such as cars, cell phone and electric appliance.

On the road we met many Amish people. They were riding their horse-drawn buggies, with two kerosene lamps mounting on both sides of the vehicle. They were taking their families to/back somewhere, maybe back from church.

3 Amish girls and 4 Amish boys walked on the sidewalk. My friend noticed that girls were walking with bare feet. We didn't know why they didn't wear shoes.

Their houses are in the center of farm. Chickens, horses, cows and sheep are raised on their farms. Several Amish family were sitting on the porches and probably enjoying their tea time or coffee time. Love this way to spend free time: sitting on the porch, breathing fresh air, viewing beautiful scenery, chatting with family, and drinking coffee or tea!

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for visiting my site. I took some photos at the Amish sale they have on Wednesdays. I posted them on my photo a day blog. You may have to scroll down or go to some older posts. Have you ever been to it?

    By Blogger lv2scpbk, At Monday, July 16, 2007 10:21:00 AM  

  • I noticed the black and white cow statue on the roof when driving back to State College. I thought I had seen this cow somewhere. Then I realized this cow statue had been shown on your blog.

    By Blogger Viola, At Monday, July 16, 2007 11:00:00 AM  

  • I always wanted to visit the Amish and photograph them (if they are okay with it). So is Milroy the place to go? I have never been there.

    By Blogger Linda, At Friday, July 27, 2007 7:07:00 AM  

  • I think so. It is not far away.15 or 20 minutes driving. East 322.

    By Blogger Viola, At Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:34:00 AM  

  • Im from Milroy, and NO the amish don't want there picture taken. They do have several stores that anybody is welcome at but just have manners. And to set the record straight there was not lamps on the sides of the buggy's. Everything is ran of a battery.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home